Saturday, March 5, 2011

On the palms of my hands...

I have fallen in love with the concept of this verse: "Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me." (Isaiah 49:15-16) How more intimate and profound it is to think about the God of the universe having our names written on the palms of his hands. Not only that but his love being stronger than that of a nursing mothers' in the wake of experiencing the closest bond attainable. With that in mind, it's a love that sees through walls of hardened hearts, and with all his being, can still say to those unbelieving hearts, "I have not forgotten you". Imagine a husband and wife branding their hands or fingers when love is alive and passionate, to proclaim they have given themselves over to one another. Or a proud parent wanting to proclaim their love and child's existence. God wants to proclaim your existence in that same intimate way. And when you see that love he's expressing and realize you are not forgotten, you will want to not only write his name upon your hand, but engrave him deep into your heart. A revelation of such passionate love is our only hope for a revolution. One where we can lift inscribed hands and hearts unto the one who has proclaimed his love for us from the creation of the world. From before time existed, he gave his light over to darkness in order that he would dwell among his cherished creation. Whom when he saw for the very first time not only did he call good, but proclaimed his love for it upon the palms of his hands. All in hope that one day our hearts and souls would receive the indwelling light to be made manifest within. And not being able to contain such light, we will be able to truly profess who it is we belong to and who it is we were created for. For it is with our lips we will proclaim but with our hearts we will truly KNOW, "You are Lord, the one who holds me in the palm of your hand and calls me beloved, calls me unforgotten, calls me to come and be known."

1 comment:

  1. Isn't God's love for us so beautiful, so indescribeable? In fact, I'd say that without God there is no such thing as true love, since He IS love...Ah, to bask in his love ;)

    ReplyDelete